Project leader Shipbuilding Engineering
Place In Organisation
Working at department : Shipbuilding Engineering
Report to : Assistant & Manager Shipbuilding Engineering
Supervising : Team of drafts men and work preparator
The function aims to achieve the required quantitative and qualitative output of the project in accordance with the requirements and standards of the organization and the customer specifications.
- Generation of information packages for the shipbuilding, outfitting and paint production departments as well as for the purchasing department within the pré-defined requirements and conditions.
- The information package mainly consists of CAD drawings, either initially designed in 3D (Catia V5 or Rhino 5) or 2D (AutoCAD 2015).
- Starting point is the basic naval architect design package. Together with your engineering and production colleagues, you convert this package into detailed structural and outfitting drawings, weight calculations, CNC preparation and material requests orders.
- Key element in the entire process is to manage the information flows; means taking care that information necessary to be integrated in your project is there in time, but also available for other departments. Due to the short leading times of our projects, this means every day attention and good flexible, problem identifying & solving and stress resistant skills. A constant switch between a very focussed/detailed and company-wide helicopter view is very important.
- Supervising your project engineering team and ensuring optimal deployment and availability of required skills and resources.
- This process starts with making a detailed project work schedule including relating hour budgets, which has to be weekly monitored and reported. The main budget is already determined.
- In consultation with your colleague shipbuilding engineering project leaders, you assign work tasks (and budget hours) to your own team and monitor their progress.
- You coach/direct your team members in order to develop their skills and to achieve constant optimisation.
- Performance/job evaluation meetings with your team members are part of your work scope.
- You will prepare or design principle details yourself (in 2 or 3D) and have them worked out by your engineering team.
- Due to the broad scope of our engineering package, it is required to have thorough and practical knowledge off all aspects. This varies from a good understanding of structural basic engineering, via practical constraints of outfitting items like aligning of multiple in-line hinges to the working of a CNC cutting machine.
- You will take care that the entire info package of your project is in line with Class and Flag state requirements.
- You will make/monitor all necessary (mainly strength) calculations according to Class societies (ABS or Lloyd’s SSC). A FEM analysis is in general subcontracted. Judging the result is of course part of your scope.
- Taking care of technical specifications for purchase items and review of technical part of returned quotations.
- Generation of all necessary information for change orders from owner’s team.
- This means for our department a description for the requested change, the technical solution for this and an overview of all consequences (technical, labour costs, material costs and weight).
- Checking of work in accordance with quality standards.
- This varies from a library of standard and example drawings to commissioning check sheets.
- Perform and supervise the work in accordance with the house rules, occupational health and environmental safety standards.
- Manager Shipbuilding Engineering
- Assistants to Managers
- Project leaders Engineering
- Project leaders Shipbuilding Production, Supervisor Paint en Outfitting
- Draftsmen and work preparators
- Naval Architect D&D
- Customer Support & After Sales
- Cost & Accounting D&D
- Subcontractors (mainly engineering and partly production)
- Classification societies and Flag states
- Suppliers (in consultation with purchasing)
- HTS (institute of technology) Shipbuilding or HTS education level in combination with relevant work experience.
- AutoCAD, Rhino and of course, thorough knowledge of computers.
- Written and spoken English.
- Proven experience in shipbuilding (main en detailed) engineering, supervising of engineering team members and budget control.
- Hands on mentality.
Are you a shipbuilder with drawing office/construction experience and are you
ready for the next phase in your career? This job could be just right for you!